Coordinator of Youth Ministry (Bourbonnais, IL)
Maternity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish in Bourbonnais, IL is seeking a Coordinator of Youth Ministry (CYM). Maternity B.V.M. is a parish of the Diocese of Joliet, and the founding mission of the Viatorian Community in the United States. Maternity B.V.M. Church is located 50 miles south of downtown Chicago.
The CYM’s primary goal will be to empower youth to live as disciples of Jesus in our world today. This individual must reach out to families and have a broad vision of Youth Ministry that moves beyond a youth group. This is a full-time, benefitted position.
This is a year-round position with responsibilities to manage programs that meet the needs of 6th to 12th grade young people. Most programs will be offered after school, on weekends, and during school breaks. Some responsibilities require a presence during regular business hours of the parish.
The Coordinator of Youth ministry will ultimately report to the pastor. The CYM will also collaborate with other members of the parish staff.
- Overall duties include establishing opportunities for youth and their families to actively participate in the life of the parish as well as providing opportunities for youth to grow in their relationship with Jesus.
- Collaborates with the Pastor on all pastoral activities including: service learning experiences, youth liturgy planning, retreats, youth leadership, maintaining a pastoral presence with 6th through 12th grade students at Bishop McNamara Catholic School, students in the religious education, and to all junior high and high school students in our parish and in the area.
- In collaboration with the Pastor, prepares a calendar of events for Junior High and High School Youth Ministry.
- Provides Maternity BVM youth with opportunities for individual pastoral guidance and spiritual reflection
- Works collaboratively with the Youth Liturgy Planning Team
- Maintains contact with high school graduates.
- Works collaboratively with other Catholic youth and young adult leaders in the area.
- Works collaboratively with other teachers and catechists, and the parish Director of Religious Education – especially in preparation for Confirmation.
- Is responsible for promoting Youth Ministry through various platforms
- Communicates and Collaborates with the parents of the youth and facilitates opportunities for adult volunteers.
- Assumes other responsibilities and duties as assigned by the Pastor
General Qualifications expected of all applicants -
- Must be a practicing Roman Catholic in good standing and must know, profess and act consistently in accordance with the doctrinal and moral teachings of the Catholic Church and with the mission, philosophy, objectives and policies of the Diocese of Joliet, The Clerics of St. Viator, and Maternity of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish.
- Basic computer skills, including MS Word and Outlook, in addition to experience with and good understanding of social media and the use of current technology to evangelize.
- Availability days, evenings, and weekends as the position requires.
- Compliance with all Diocesan Youth Protection protocols as well as clearing all background checks.
- Sense of call to this ministry.
- The ability to honor and maintain confidentiality, and the ability to intervene as needed and when required by law.
Qualifications for preferred candidates -
- Degree or Certification in Youth Ministry, Religious Education, or other related field ….
- Familiarity with the USCCB Document:
Renewing the Vision – A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry.
- Experience working/volunteering with high school and junior high youth and proficiency in relating to and working cooperatively with adults and adolescents.
- Proven skills in communication, teaching, program administration, and interaction with others.
- Strength in administrative and organizational skills, and in recruiting and managing volunteers.
Print, complete, and sign the following application http://www.dioceseofjoliet.org/siteimages/hr/Application_Form.pdf
Once completed and signed, you can mail the application along with your résumé,
two professional references, and one personal reference, to:
Rev. Jason Nesbit, C.S.V.
Maternity B.V.M. Church
308 E. Marsile St.
Bourbonnais, IL 60914
815-933-8285, ext. 111
Questions and further inquiries are preferred via e-mail.